Horace High School News

The Student News Site of Horace High School

Horace High School News

Horace High School News

What is Debate?

The Horace debate team is one of 3 state championship teams here at HHS. As the first class of Seniors graduate, the debate team is in need of some new members.

There are 2 different forms of debate in North Dakota, Public Forum (PF) and Lincoln Douglas (LD). Debate tournaments happen between November until the end of January.

Public Forum is partner debate. A set of partners debate against another set of partners from a different school. In December the PF topic is whether or not the US federal government should forgive all student loan debt. In January the topic will be whether or not the US government should increase its military presence in the arctic.

Lincoln Douglas is individual debate. One person will debate against another person from a different school. The December LD topic is whether or not the US should prohibit the extraction of fossil fuels on public lands. In January the topic will be if the US ought to guarantee the right to housing.

Being on the team brings many benefits. Debate team captain, Corrine Schmidt, explains that she has become a better speaker, presenter and gained many management skills from participating in debate. She also says she made many new friends because of debate and enjoys the team bonding activities.

Whether you are looking for an extracurricular to keep you busy or want something more for your college application, debate might be right for you.