Horace High School News

The Student News Site of Horace High School

Horace High School News

Horace High School News

The Origins of Santa Claus

As we near the sleigh bells ringing, you Hawks may already have written up your Christmas wish list. Whether you asked for two front teeth or a new family, Santa Claus is working overtime to make sure we Hawks have a holly jolly Christmas. However, have you ever stopped to think about how the tales of Santa Claus came to be? Just how did the bearded man in a red suit rise to fame? What woes did this unlikely hero overcome to bring joy to millions all over the world?

Santa Claus, St. Nick, Father Christmas; is there even a difference? Santa Claus can be traced back to St. Nicholas from the third century; regarded as the original “Santa Claus.”  St. Nicholas was a monk born in modern-day Turkey in around 280 AD. The idea of St. Nick was brought by European immigrants to America; later to be recognized as a part of American Culture. As time passed and the conception of St. Nick spread, different versions of the legend arose. Up until the nineteenth century, Santa Claus was merely a representation of Christmas known as Father Christmas, rather than a mythical being. Church history of the gift-giver combined with English tales of Father Christmas created our modern-day Santa Claus; derived from the Dutch word ‘Sinterklaas.’

Santa Claus has certainly made an impact on many different cultures around the world. Regardless of your belief in St. Nick, it cannot be denied that Santa Claus is an essential part of our Christmas traditions. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!