Horace High School News

The Student News Site of Horace High School

Horace High School News

Horace High School News

Horace Hawks Squawk at the Nationals Tournament (A Recap)

Nora and Jayla Accept their semi-finalist congress awards at the 2023 National Speech and Debate Tournament.

Horace High School had 4 Heritage and 2 Horace Hawks place at the National Speech and Debate Tournament in June.

Hosting 6,700 participants from across the country, the National Speech and Debate Association has been connecting, supporting, and inspiring a diverse community committed to empowering students through speech and debate since 1925. This year, 19 of our Hawk’s students traveled to Phoenix, Arizona to compete. After several days of intense competition, our hawks soared to greatness.

Jayla Ridout (9) and Nora Aeilts (9) made semifinals in Congressional Debate, placing top 24 in the nation. Additionally, Lucy Sherbenske (8) and Liam Rude (9) qualified to semifinals in duo at the Middle School National tournament, placing top 12 in the nation. Meanwhile our High School team reached new heights with two of our Hawks placing top 60 in the Nation in Storytelling, Reese Richardson (11) and Becca Smith (11).

Even after a successful trip, our Hawks are still looking for new ways to soar. Junior Reese Richards says nationals was as much as a competition as it was a learning opportunity. In responce to talking about kids from around the country in storytelling, Reese said, “Seeing characterization and purpose of movement and their different stories were helpful.”

Reflecting after a long trip, Assistant Coach Cassidy Hughes says, “Friendships blossomed, goals for the next season were set, and a team became a family. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience in seeing students individualize themselves within a setting that was foreign to them.”