Horace High School News

The Student News Site of Horace High School

Horace High School News

Horace High School News

Diving Into the New Season

As we enter the season of fall sports, we make a splash into Girls’ Swim and Dive. Horace has twenty-nine girls on their team which is an impressive number for it being their third year as a team. The sport is broken up into eight individual swimming events, three relays, and one event for diving.

Not many people know about diving, or even what it is! Horace has been home to divers since the 2022 swim and dive season and currently has five divers. In order to compete on the diving team at a duel, divers need to be able to complete six different dives, and for an invite or higher-level meet, they must be able to do eleven. I spoke to Alora Rude, a junior and diver at HHS who said, “diving is a really big mental sport. Overcoming mental blocks when trying new dives is crucial to getting better”. All in all, the diving team has been making great progress and we are excited to see how the rest of their season goes!

On the swimming side of things, the team has had a great start to their season with twenty-four swimmers on the team. I asked head coach, Andrea Smith, how she anticipates the season to go, and she spoke of the team constantly surprising other teams, “As a still semi-new and growing team, we continue to improve and make a name for ourselves”. Andrea spoke of the team having a fun, positive atmosphere, always ready to make the most out of things.

We look forward to the future of the Swim and Dive team growing and succeeding!