Horace High School News

The Student News Site of Horace High School

Horace High School News

Horace High School News

Hannah Stevermer: Fine Art Student of the Month November

Hannah Stevermer, a Senior at Horace High School, has been awarded the honor of Fine Art Student of the Month. She has achieved this by taking part in Speech, Congress, and Debate, as well as being an avid art student, spending almost 3 hours of the day in the art room. Today, we take a closer look about her future plans, and current artistic development!

Her current project is her personal portfolio. As a senior, she must think about which college she wants to attend, and having thought hard in the last 4 years, she has decided on moving to the east coast to get education for 3D animation, and minor in 2D animation. She hopes to find a job at Disney Pixar Studios and eventually settle within a home in New York City. To achieve this, she must create a fantastic portfolio (and if you ask me, it’s amazing already).

I decided to talk to one of the visual art teachers, Mrs. Opp, in order to get a sense of Hannah’s skills from a professional and gained some much-needed insight. To start, I asked what she thought of Hannah as a student, and Mrs. Opp had great things to say. “Hannah is a very hard worker. She is very creative and is really great at taking feedback and applying it to her work”.  Opp went on to say, “I can’t emphasize how much of a hard worker she is, and that has been something that has made her artwork improve. It’s been great to see that growth as we’ve spent time together”.  When asked what she thought was the best part of Hannah’s art, she answered, “her creativity. She usually finds solutions I have never seen before and is able to compose it in a really nice way”.  It’s clear to see Hannah has strong support and encouragement from her teachers, but what does the young designer think of her own work?

When asked what she felt her best strengths were, Hannah replied, “I guess drawing, putting what I see [in my mind] onto [the paper]”. In contrast, she also feels that her artistic vision often doesn’t match the physical result of her work. She goes on to admit that one of her struggles as an artist is, “reconciling what I imagine in my head with my artistic abilities”. It’s clear that Hannah takes pride in her work, when asked what her favorite piece of work she has done is, she simply replied by showing me her iPad, with a piece of art which is pictured above.

Once again, congratulations to Hannah Stevermer for achieving the honor of being the Fine Art Student of the Month for November!