Horace High School News

The Student News Site of Horace High School

Horace High School News

Horace High School News

Hawks WIN First Ever Playoff Game!

Dickinson Goes Down in Double Overtime

A fight for a sport in the semi-final playoffs goes to the Horace Hawks after defeating Dickinson in a freezing game ending in double overtime. The score was a 20-14 Hawks victory. The game started off strong with a kickoff fumble recovery, the Hawks recovered the ball and started the game with really good field position. On Dickinsons second drive the Hawks again forced a fumble that was recovered by safety Charlie Leshovsky, who set the offense up again in amazing field position. The offense drove down the field all the way to the 1-yard line, but Dickinson’s goal line defense stopped the Hawks’ offense to hold them to zero points. Even though the Hawks turned the ball over on downs, Dickinson was pinned on their own 1-yard line. The Hawks defense did not let up many yards, holding the Dickinson offense below their own fifty forcing a punt. With the Hawks offense receiving the ball they drove a good portion of the field but had to punt the ball away. Dickinson once again fumbled, with safety Axel Anderson recovering it. The Hawks tried for a fourth down conversion but didn’t get it, so the ball was turned over to Dickinson. There was a big trend in Dickinson losing the ball because for the fourth time in the game Dickinson fumbled with the Hawks recovering the ball setting them up to score the first points of the game. Finally, after many drives a thirty-yard pass was thrown by Tayler Stefonowicz and caught by Gavin Olson for the first touchdown of the game, putting the Hawks up by six. Dickinson’s trend of turnovers continued after the quarterback threw an interception to Hawks cornerback Jaxon Narum who returned the ball all the way to the 15-yard line. The same pattern continued until Dickinson finally scored 6 points to tie the game. The full game ended with a score of 6-6 resulting in overtime.

The Hawks won the coin flip and elected to be on offense first. The Hawks only needed ten yards to score and with four plays they punched it in with a run from Ty Geray. Dickinson got a chance, and they scored to tie the game again sending it to double overtime. Because the Hawks started with the ball in the first overtime, Dickinson got it to begin the second overtime. Only four plays to score, and the Hawks defense held Dickinson. On the second play of the Hawks offensive drive, Ty Geray punches in the touchdown to send the Hawks to semi-final playoff game against the Fargo North Spartans. This is the second match-up between the two schools this season, and the Hawks are looking to upset the top seeded Spartan team. The game is scheduled at 7pm on Friday, November 3, and will be played at Fargo North High School. Come cheer your Hawks to victory as they aim to soar over the Spartans.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All Horace High School News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *