Horace High School News

The Student News Site of Horace High School

Horace High School News

Horace High School News

Committing to Your New Year’s Resolution

On account of the New Year vastly approaching, it is time that we Hawks take a moment to reflect on this year and the goals we hope to strive for in the upcoming New Year. According to Statistica, the top three most common New Year’s resolutions are: exercising more, eating healthier, and losing weight. Though these are perfectly good goals to have, there seems to be a recurring issue with the resolutions we create. They last maybe a solid week before we start reverting to our old ways. In fact, research shows that only 16 percent of people accomplish their resolutions. With this knowledge, how can we commit to our resolutions this 2024?

Many factors contribute to not following our resolutions; lack of time, and resources, or simply being unable to find the motivation to build these habits. When combatting your resolutions, it is important to embrace a growth mindset. Understanding that some habits and skills take time to improve can make a huge difference in the success rate of your resolutions. Additionally, to stay consistent with your goals this New Year there needs to be a clear-cut plan of the steps you are taking. Just setting a workable system you are using to achieve your goals can make them more feasible.

The New Year offers a blank slate, where we are allowed to activate expectations of what we hope to achieve as we advance into the year. Ultimately, try to see the New Year as a time of renewal and practice committing to your goals this 2024!